Sunday, January 11, 2009

Granada HS Ultimate: The beginning

The beginning: Granada Ultimate actually starts with Mike DeSouza, who now coaches at ACLA "Darkmeat," he before he started Dark Meat he was a brand new teacher at Granada and started the first team there. The team only lasted a short period of time because Mike eventually left.

The Second coming: Years later a high school Junior named Mario DeSouza decided to take the Ultimate class at Las Positas College and while there met a man who, always working kids, nagged mario to start an Ultimate team. Mario got some of his friends out to just throw and goof around. After a summer of nagging again Mario finally got all of his friends and some of there friends out to a "real" practice; and yes Mario is the nephew of Mike DeSouza. Oh an that man was I, Geoff "Black tide" Rexroth.

The first Practice: The charecters that came out to the first practice were not alike at all. There were atheletes mixed with pot heads, rocker kids practicing with sweet/innocent people (girls).
We played on the side of a side field at Max Baer park in Livermore, CA. We were practicing in 40ft by 60ft piece of grass that did not fit the 30+ kids that all came out. We did not have the ability to actually play a game until the sun was falling behind the houses and we scrimmaged for about 30 minutes. I watched for the entire practice, because I wanted to know where the kids were at when it came to talent level. At the end of that practice I realized that I had a lot on my plate, but I figured that would be the case. That night I went home with a project and I was excited to start on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment