Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Defensive Mindset: The Mark

THE SET UP

The Pull is ripped down, five feet inside the goal, and moved up with two easy passes. The lack of wind and quick snapping wrists move the disc. Now fifteen yards further than previously pulled down the defense zone's in on the handlers and cutters. Pressure to the backhand side forces the flick.

Poaching, the left handler's (Defenses left) defender stands no more than 12 feet from the disc and in clear view of disc holder. The holder views the poach, his brain raddled with frustration, I know i can make the bender around him... get the hell out of my way! His head turns, throw it to my teammate and make them pay...move the disc...NOW!

The poached player is wide open and recieves the disc. He looks up field, and his cutters are sprinting toward him, sadly with no ability to get it though--the defense has played it well. The new mark (the poacher) is now within ten feet.

"1"

Three feet...

"2"

On mark...

"3"

Your mine!

MARK SET

"Strike!"

The dump runs up line but does not prevail as the mark stops any upline throw and returns his focus on the new dump, knowing that this may be his only lifeline.

"4"

Four and no throw up line or to his dump? So far so good. I take a glance over my shoulder to see where his new friend is and he's exactly where I left him: behind me.

"No Inside!"

I throw my left hand infront of the thrower just to show him I'm still here. You didn't think you would catch me off guard did you? I'm lucky, he did catch me off guard but my upfield defenders are holding there cutters down so I can get the count higher.

"5"

I wonder when they are going to cut? Watch his eyes... he'll tell you where he's going.

"6"

He turns his attention to his dumps. His eyes search and figure out where his dumps are going. Where are you throwing? I look back to see where his dump is and he starts running back. My body turns to be in between them. My right arm rises and extends out.

"7"

My voice becomes louder as the count becomes higher. My heart starts to pound harder. I realize a stall or bad throw may be possible. Don't foul him...step back...make sure you don't get broken.

" No dump! No dump!"

I circle the dump making sure that the throw doesn't get off.

"8"

My heart beats faster and my eyes race. My head searches as fast as possible to see if it can find anyone that he may be able to throw to. I swing my arms making sure he doesn't throw over my head or around me. Get in his head. Your almost there...you almost have the stall!

"9"

When having a stall nine who thinks about anything but: Don't foul...Don't fast count (even though you know your going to)... you almost have em.

He turns to look up the field. You have done your job and he has one last option--huck it.
His eyes don't even make contact with upfield, since he knows i have him. His arm winds up...and...

"TEN!"

"STALL!!!"

Yes, I got him. My mark worked. No dump or upline throws. I got into his head and there was nothing he could do. I did my job...








"CONTEST!"

Shit!


No comments:

Post a Comment